Date: Tuesday 4/9/2013, Revival Service
Preacher: Chris Hollinghead
Main Bible Verse(s): Mark 1:16-20
We serve a moving God. Let’s look at these verses in detail.
- He’ll come to you
- He sees your heart
- 1 Samuel 16:7
- 2 Chronicles 16:9
- Psalm 94:9
- There was nothing wrong with Simon and Andrew fishing. But don’t let anything else be above God. “Follow me” – if they had ignored that request, it would have been sin.
- With your talents and abilities, what God has created you to do, are you using it for Him?
- “Immediately” – there was a sense of urgency.
- Note v. 16 and they were casting A net but in v. 18 they left ALL of their nets. Don’t just lay down one sin, lay down them all at the same time and leave them all behind.
- Sometimes when people repent, they are right back in trouble a week later. It’s likely they sincerely repented of some of their sin but they’re holding on to something else and it drags them down continually. We need to give it all to God.
- Aren’t you glad Jesus went “a little farther” to come for you, too? See Psalm 40:2 – all the way to the horrible pit.
- Jesus is always saying “follow me” and He still asks that today. We need to be following Him.
- James and John were mending their nets – an important job. Sometimes we need to stay in the boat if asked (Acts, shipwreck) but sometimes Jesus is saying get out of the boat.
- One of the top reasons we don’t get out of the boat is because we have pet sins that are holding us back from really following Jesus.
- Another top reason is because our relationships with this world. We shouldn’t value a relationship with a human being more than their relationship with their Creator.
- James and John left even a family member (their father) to follow Jesus. If a relationship is keeping you from God, you need to re-prioritize.
- Be careful with other human beings. Don’t be a stumbling block. Don’t contribute to their temptation.
Later Jesus stepped off the boat (Mark 5) and saved a wretched man from misery, casting out his demons. But the townspeople missed a blessing because they were too concerned with loosing something. Mark 5:19 – as Jesus left in the boat, the man he saved wanted to go. But Jesus said no – for him to go and tell others and people were saved because he listened.
- Encounter – want to have a real encounter with God
- Exchange – lay down what you don’t want and exchange it for what God wants for you
- Engage – a lost world with the Gospel
Jesus said follow me and immediately they followed Him. Jesus is saying to you right now “follow me”. What will you do?