On October 5, 1853, Notchey Creek Baptist Chuch held its first organized meeting. Approximately 21 members, the majority being from nearby Bethlehem Baptist Church, comprised the small congregation. The church chose Reverend S.M. Haun as pastor. He served for 43 continuous years until his death in 1896.
As time progressed, the church experienced a need for expansion. Notchey Creek Baptist Church had a new vision. Beginning in 1932, and continuing through 1938, the church built an auditorium and flue, underpinned the church with brick and built Sunday School rooms. During the years of 1958, ’59, and ’60, the church added two more rooms to the south end. A basement was added and air conditioning was installed in 1968 along with the purchase of land nearby for a cemetery. A baptistry, restrooms and new pews were added to the church during the ’70’s. In the 1980’s, a nursery was established, the basement carpeted, and a church sign, and a new piano and organ were purchased. Numerous conveniences and improvements such as a telephone, a P.A. system, a church bulletin and more paved parking area were added over the next 10 years.
In the years 1988 through 1990, the church added new Sunday School rooms, an office for the pastor, and updated the church’s exterior. Property for future expansion was purchased in November of 1990.
The original building began to outgrow its space in 1991. An architect was hired to draw plans for a building that would house a new sanctuary, classrooms and fellowship hall. A ground breaking ceremony occurred on October 10, 1993. The new building was completed in less than fifteen months. The first service in the new sanctuary took place on January 8, 1995.
Notchey Creek Baptist Church has grown steadily for the past 156 years. Each generation has added its vision and hope to each preceding generations accomplishments. As members of Notchey Creek Baptist Church, let us love each other and work together so that we too can see our visions become realities as those men and women before us.